Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Bounty


The trip to France proved fruitful.  The airport security woman gave me a funny look as my bag went through the scanner and asked, "Do you have a bunch of books in your bag?"  Why yes, I did - 4 of the 5 Jack Aubrey volumes, Olivier de Kersauson's Ocean's Songs, Bilbo le Hobbit, and Le Seigneur des Anneaux.  

The best find was the Patrick O'Brian books.  I figured an acceptable amount of time had passed since I finished reading these in english, so I put them at the top of my list for books to find while in France.  While walking along the old port in Marseille, I happened upon a maritime bookstore, La Cardinale, and decided to take a look around.  They had every sailing, boating, sea-adventuring book you could want, and if I hadn't had very limited backpack capacity or funds, I would've brought home many more books.  But I stuck to my list, and they had the P. O'B. books, well 4 of them.  (Unfortunately they were missing the first volume, so I will have to acquire that on Amazon - couldn't find it at any of the bookstores I went to in Paris).  The hard part is to now find ample reading time!   

No comments:

Post a Comment